Helen MarshallHelen Marshall is a critically acclaimed author, editor, and medievalist. After receiving a PhD from the prestigious Centre for Medieval Studies at the University of Toronto, she spent two years completing a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Oxford investigating literature written during the time of the Black Death. She was recently appointed Senior Lecturer of Creative Writing and Publishing at Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge, England and she is the general director of the Centre for Science Fiction and Fantasy.
Marshall’s creative writing aims to bring the past into conversation with the present. Her first collection of fiction, Hair Side, Flesh Side, which won the Sydney J Bounds Award in 2013, emerged from her work as a book historian. Rather than taking the long view of history, her second collection, Gifts for the One Who Comes After, negotiated very personal issues of legacy and tradition, creating myth-infused worlds where “love is as liable to cut as to cradle, childhood is a supernatural minefield, and death is ‘the slow undoing of beautiful things’” (Quill&Quire, starred review). It won the World Fantasy Award and the Shirley Jackson Award in 2015, and was short-listed for the British Fantasy Award, the Bram Stoker Award and the Aurora Award from the Canadian Science Fiction and Fantasy Association.
“Marshall is a master at bizarre, myth-infused scenarios that play on a reader’s subconscious in ways creepy and oddly pleasurable.”
Latest Tweets from Helen
- @unamccormack I know. It makes me happy! And I like the direction they're taking things.
- @unamccormack On Channel 4! I know -- I'm so excited!
- I just realised the new season of The Good Fight is available in the UK -- so psyched!
- I'm headed off to London with @tiffaniangus to the Gollancz offices to film some exclusive content for our new MA i… https://t.co/rHx7PXSHtr
- @rockpapercynic @mydadisdracula @angrykem I say that regularly to my students. And everyone I meet, really.
- You can watch @Eugene_Giddens and I answering questions about the new MA in Science Fiction & Fantasy and the MA in… https://t.co/MDQ0zcSYUz